Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I love Uncles and Dumptruck Drivers

I have a lot of aunts and uncles.  My mom was one of 14 kiddos and my Dad was one of 3.  Most of the family lives here locally.  It's great!  Especially when I need gardening advice. And compost.
When I was describing our garden project to my uncle Eddie,he spent some time explaining his raised beds and telling me about his compost.  Let me just say: I wish I had a better memory!  He has so much information and experience and the best memory of anyone I know.
Anyhoo,  I asked him how much he'd charge me for some compost and he replied that he didn't have any for sale.  But he did have some extra he would just give me.  (Did I mention I love having uncles?)
As you can see in our previous post, we had a good amount of dirt, but now I needed "soil."  So we went and got some of the good dark black stuff from Uncle Eddie to mix in with the dirt. 
Here's a cropped-and-still-not-great photo of me and Uncle Eddie:

He wasn't expecting us, but that didn't stop him from getting out one of his John Deere and helping us load some compost. And not only did he help us with that, he took the time to show us all around his workshop. Paul and I were really fascinated just seeing what all he does out there. It's amazing. "Well, I just took this big piece of steel, and built this amazing truck out of it." Okay, so that's not exactly what he said, but it might as well be- I was uber-impressed with what all he builds!
So, it was a great evening, and long story short
We got the compost. And my boyfriend was quite helpful too, in a tough, dumptruck-driving sort of way. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment