Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Tin Roof Cafe Closes

Hello friends, 
I'm about to go in for the last day at The Tin Roof Cafe, and wanted to write a minute just to say Thank You! Several times, I've asked guests after their meal, "Was it all you hoped and dreamed?"  And, for me, after my time at the cafe, the answer is most definitely YES, and then some! :)
When I first walked into the farmhouse, I saw in my mind a cheerful, colorful cafe where friends could gather over food, kids could play inside and out, and people would leave with a smile.  And it worked!
I had to go back this morning and read some of my first blog posts.  Here is the first post from April 2008:
http://thetinroof.blogspot.com/2008/04/in-beginning.html
If you read to the bottom of that post, then look under it and click on "Newer Post" you can read through some of those first months.  You can see how much younger the cafe (and I) looked, but I hope you can also see how much fun this experience has been for me and what an answered prayer!
Several people thought I was crazy to open a cafe having no idea how to cook or run a business. Now, almost 4 successful years later, several people think I'm crazy to close the cafe.  And, they are probably all correct- I may be a little crazy, but it certainly keeps life interesting. 
I'm a list person, so when I start to feel sad about how my life will change without the cafe, I work on these lists in my head:

Things I can do if I don't work in the cafe:
1) Wear nail polish
2) Wear my hair down
3) Wear jewelry
4) Buy a pair of pretty shoes instead of comfortable shoes
5) Wear "dry clean only" clothes
6) Smell like "Cashmere Mist" instead of "Eau de Bacon"
7) Enjoy other restaurants

Things I never thought about before opening the cafe:
1) Having to wash and dry the tea urns Every Single Night.
2) Mopping Every Single Night.
3) Anything on the first list
4) Cooking soup
5) Bacon is expensive

Okay- these are just a few silly lists to keep in my head to get me through today- There are many more happy lists to come about the past days at the cafe and how it changed my life. 

I saw this quote on Pinterest this week and it couldn't have come at a better time:
"You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one."

This last chapter has been my favorite, but I believe the best is yet to come!
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord. "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, Plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Please stay in touch, friends, and Thank you so much for encouraging, supporting, and believing in me and the cafe.  I am so grateful!   

Opening Day June 25, 2008 with my niece, Lizi.  She's 5 now!   

Last week- Too tired to stand up- just kidding.  :) 

Love y'all,
Summer