Thursday, October 27, 2011

Autumn Garden- Progress Report

I can't take a lot of credit for anything happening in the garden right now.  Some of the herbs that are doing so well are only growing because the tomato/other plants that were suffocating them have been removed. 
The new sprouts are courtesy of Chef Brent and CJ's planting on a slow afternoon.  Here are some earlier and later photos:

The bright yellow on the left is oregano, front 3 plants are parsley, mid-right is chives.  (The very front right is not supposed to be there- a weed?)  And there are 2 big holes in the middle of the bed from the humongous tomato plants that were removed.

These plants have been getting bigger now that sunlight can reach them!
The rosemary and sage just keep growing- I'm ready to use the sage with some turkey for November...stay tuned...

A little cabbage sprout!

I think the animals like the little cabbage sprouts.


A little beet sprout!

As of today, there are many more little beet sprouts- I'm really excited about beets- I realized last year that I Do like them!  But how do I know when they are ready? Any knowledge is appreciated!
Look at these little arugula sprouts!  I may be most excited about the arugula- I just love it!  They planted a lot in professional little rows, but as it's coming up, we can tell what dirt the kids were playing in the other day:

Hmmmm... one side is not as orderly as the other...  :D   As long as kids are having fun in the garden, I'm okay.  Lord knows, I tore out enough of Mamaw's plants back in the day. But when you're little, how do you know what's a plant sprout or a weed? I didn't get to help weed much after that...

I'm ready to eat some arugula soon, though- I went to lunch with a friend the other day, and she had a grilled cheese- but it was amazing grilled cheese- Gruyere, Caramelized Onions, & Arugula. I'm looking forward to trying that at the cafe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment