Friday, July 8, 2011

Desserts are flying off the shelves this week!

So I obviously had to bake, right? I don't normally bake because it completely, absolutely forces me to eat more dessert. There's just no way not to eat dessert if I've gone to all the trouble to bake it. Do you have that issue too?
Well, now that I'm admitting I have a problem, I'll just say that when Mary Lou bakes, I eat that dessert too. My problem is bigger than originally admitted.
ANYhoo, I was craving pineapple upside-down cake. Because we had an open jar of pineapple rings. So I looked at some recipes and got to work!
I started by browning the pineapple rings in a stick of butter and 3/4 c. brown sugar. (I think I could have caramelized the sauce a little more.) Then, I put a pineapple ring in the bottom of a big muffin tin with some of the less-then-caramelized juice:
Then, I mixed the cake batter.
In a mixing bowl, I creamed 1 stick softened butter and 3/4 c sugar, added 1 egg, and 1/2 cup milk. Like I said, I was following several recipes at once. When I added the milk, the whole mess looked curdled, so I freaked out and threw the dry ingredients in and hit the blender at top speed.
Whew. That was a little stressful.
The dry ingredients were 1.5 c all purpose flour, 1.5 tsp baking powder, and .5 tsp salt- all sifted together.
After it started looking more normal, I calmed down and added the other wet ingredients- 1 tsp vanilla exract and some leftover pineapple juice.
It looked right. Okay- I did a finger-swipe, and it tasted okay too.
So I added some to the top of the pineapple, and threw it in the oven. Our convection oven cooks way too hot, so I set it 50 degrees below the recommended 350, and I just cooked it until the fork came out clean.
In the meantime, though, I almost burned the cafe down. The finger-swipe of the batter was good, like I said, and I thought, well, look at this- just enough for a little microwave experiment!
So I poured it in a ramekin and set it for 5 minutes.
That was about 4 minutes too long, obviously. The cafe filled with smoke, as did my throat, lungs, ears, and anything else around the kitchen. Sure, it's not the first time this has happened here, which reminds me of another reason I love it when Mary Lou bakes...
But soon, I heard the oven buzzer. (which sounds eerily like a smoke detector alarm) And, like a phoenix rising from from the smoke of my trashed ramekin, came these:
Yep, I might call them Phoenix Rising Pineapple Cakes... At least that's not overly dramatic. Okay no, I'll just call them Pineapple Upside-down cakes. They aren't bad. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment