Saturday, October 8, 2011

How do you get the seeds out of a pomegranate?

Sometime in the first year of the cafe, I had a Pomegranate flavored syrup for the Italian sodas.  I had never used or eaten pomegranate, but I loved the color!  Then, I saw a recipe somewhere using pomegranate seeds.  And then, when I picked up some fall decorations last year, there were some fake pomegranates in the bunch. (Which brings up another point- If you're not decorating with fake fruit, are you  really even decorating?) (i kid, i kid) But now, it is autumn once more, pomegranates are back on the shelves, and we have Chef Brent, who has a culinary degree.  There has to be a way to get those seeds out!  So in a last ditch effort to enjoy pomegranate as more than a fake decoration, I asked, and he said to cut it and whack it with a spoon.  Done.
The pomegranate.
Slice it in half horizontally (I had already sliced this one and held it back together for the photo)

Whack the back of it with the back of a spoon repeatedly. 
The seeds just shoot out!  It works! 

Fruit with seeds before spoon-smacking and empty shell afterward. 

Bowl of seeds after emptying 2 pomegranates in less than 7 minutes!  :)

I was so happy!  And I had a bowl of seeds and nothing to do with them. 
Have you had Pomegranate Seeds? To me, they taste like a combination of cranberries, apples, and grapes.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But I think I've seen them sprinkled on salads and such.
So I googled it.  And we now have a fantastic salad to share with you beginning next Tuesday. (with new pomegranate seeds, of course- the supermodels above will be eaten by then!)
It has Spinach, Red Onion, Walnut, & Feta Cheese tossed in Balsamic Vinaigrette with chicken and sprinkled with the star of the show, Pomegranate Seeds!
Do you have other ideas? Do tell! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment