Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Also in January...

I went to Coffee School!
I get so focused on the farmhouse- because I love it- that I forget about the business sometimes.
I discovered American Barista & Coffee School in Portland, OR, and I had the super opportunity to attend classes here in January for one week.
Beginning with the first few minutes of class- If I had heard those figures about the cost of opening a coffeeshop before I started 6 months prior, I would have been too scared to think about opening this business! However, with my newfound hindsight and realizing I already owed the bank so much (what's a little more), I just gulped and kept going.
The instructors at ABC school were really terrific and very experienced in the coffee/ restaurant industry. It was great to get to try so many different machines, and the details about what goes into a great cappuccino, latte, espresso, etc...
And we spent some time trying latte art. You can see mine below- but don't expect detailed art anytime soon. Most of my latte art strongly resembles ghosts and ameobas.
Anyway, if you are considering opening a coffeeshop, I would highly recommend www.coffeeschool.org.
Also in Portland, I didn't have time to sightsee, but I would recommend Hotel Lucia. This is a boutique hotel-beautiful, clean, and friendly- in a great location with a delicious Thai restaurant in the lobby. I absolutely love to travel, and this trip was a tremendous experience.



Barista School Classroom

Portland- on the walk back to hotel from school

New friends from everywhere!

My attempts at latte art!

No comments:

Post a Comment